7th Cavalry Gaming

Join the Tactical Gaming Excellence

Announcement Troopers Clips Needed

In order to provide a steady stream of content to the YouTube Channel, S5 Film Makers want to use your clips to highlight them on the YouTube channel. Just post the YouTube or twitch link to the clip in the form attached to this announcement. If your clip is used you will be credited in the YouTube video it is used in the description with links to YouTube and twitch channels (if you post them with the form submitting) and awarded with an Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal

I know that there are several people in the Cav that make videos for fun and are not a part of S5. I want to invite those people to feel free to link those YouTube videos here. Videos that do not need any editing at all will be elected for a Joint Service Achievement Medal if they meet internal quality measures.

What are we looking for:
We want clips that are cool, funny or highlight the Cav in a positive light. The idea is if someone from outside the Cav sees that clip or video they would say that's a cool group and might want to join.

Requirements:
  • High Quality (720p or higher)
  • Clip or Video must be on youtube or twitch for download purposes
  • Videos with Copyrighted material in them must have proof that the footage did not result in an automated strike on a youtube channel. Send a message to 2LT. Sparrow. P, and CPL. Fields. Q with a screenshot with proof. Copywrite claims are fine, just proof it does not have a strike
  • Must follow 7Cav Code of Conduct
  • Please do not post hour long unedit videos in the form

https://forms.gle/5JFyq9y4K3qHrFQ1A

If you want to contribute but don't know how read this document

Raeder.U

Sergeant First Class
Retired
Local time
11:47 AM
Ooh, this is exciting. However, could we get a bit of clarification on the copyright requirements?

The post here lists, "Videos with Copyrighted material in them must have proof that the footage did not result in an automated strike on a youtube channel. Send a message to 2LT. Sparrow. P, and CPL. Fields. Q with a screenshot with proof.",

Which makes sense, but then the form states no copyrighted music.

There's a difference between an actual copyright strike (bad, you don't want that) and YouTube's Content ID system detecting copyrighted content and automatically adding advertisements to the video in question. AFAIK the official Cav YouTube channel is not monetized, which is the main difference maker here that should prevent most problems.

In essence the question here is;

Is copyrighted content that doesn't result in a strike so long as the channel is not monetized allowed, or does everything have to be 100% original?

E.g. :

This video uses content from Atom Music Audio (as detected by Youtube's Content ID system), but my channel is not monetized. However, if my channel was monetized, I would require a license from the copyright holder to use their content without worrying about a potential copyright strike.

E.g.2:

This video uses copyrighted music composed by Ramin Djawadi, as noted by Youtube's Content ID, but there is no copyright strike because the channel is not monetized. Rather, ads have been automatically enabled on the video by Content ID with any ad revenue going to the copyright holders.

Sparrow.P

CW3
Active Duty
1/A/1-7 SL/ASL
S3 Staff
Local time
12:47 PM
The post here lists, "Videos with Copyrighted material in them must have proof that the footage did not result in an automated strike on a youtube channel. Send a message to 2LT. Sparrow. P, and CPL. Fields. Q with a screenshot with proof.",

Which makes sense, but then the form states no copyrighted music.

The difference between the Form and this announcement is an oversight on my part and has been corrected to match this announcement.

Is copyrighted content that doesn't result in a strike so long as the channel is not monetized allowed, or does everything have to be 100% original?

I'm not sure and need to do some research. Strikes of course are a no go but claims not sure on. If the below section is a mess its because I'm doing research and writing at the same time.

I have not discussed this with COC and considering this deals with money they may chime in on this and make a call.

Eventually, I would like to have the channel to be monetized to provide another source of income for the Cav outside of donations (currently it is not).
This requires mainly these two things I'm concerned about:
  1. Have more than 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months.
  2. Have more than 1,000 subscribers.
For the 4,000 valid watch hours that is where the copywrite music gets tricky. Based on this post it seems that if you use copywrite material that is claimed then it wouldn't count towards that 4,000. This is fine, my bigger concern is if we monetized the channel do those claims become strikes even if ads are turned off on those videos or if we let the revenue go to the copywrite holder? I don't have an answer yet.

That being said the YouTube channel is at 954 subscribers so we don't make the second requirement yet.

The money wouldn't be all that great from YouTube ads. I have one article saying 0.003 per view or a whooping $3 per 1,000 due to adblocker. It could be a lot of hassle for very little pay off.

On the other hand, we could get sponsorships to compensate this and being a YouTube partner I think would help in achieving this as marketing ourselves to potential sponsors.

The YouTube channel can also just be a source of PR for the 7cav which I think is a positive thing that would highlight the community and perhaps drive more recruitment. The Cav can not survive without members so perhaps this outweighs everything in favor of not monetizing the channel.

Youtube Partner Program
Video used as reference

Tl;DR: Shit is complex, I would say submit the clip/video for now. I want to wait on COC to make a decision on this topic - (Should the youtube channel ever be monetized?).

Last edited:

Raeder.U

Sergeant First Class
Retired
Local time
11:47 AM
Well, a big issue is that we don't even own our own logo (1st Cavalry Division) so I'm not exactly sure a monetized Cav YouTube channel would even be in the cards even when/if the channel meets Youtube's requirements.

If I'm not mistaken, that is one of many reasons why ideas to sell Cav merchandise never became a reality. But, like you said, Genstaff would need to chime in on that

Sparrow.P

CW3
Active Duty
1/A/1-7 SL/ASL
S3 Staff
Local time
The youtube channel will never be monotized. Since we are a non profit that would jeopardise that standing.

Copywrite claims are fine, just proof it doesnt have a strike

Kastor.K

Corporal
Active Duty
2/A/1-7
S3 Staff
Local time
4:47 PM
Sparrow.P
Why the requirement for YT upload at all? This will significantly lower the quality of the footage. YT compression wreaks havoc on grass and such elements of the video, downloading it from YT, working on it and then uploading (and thus recompressing again!) will result in very poor quality of the final product.

Abate.L

Sergeant First Class
Active Duty
2/B/1-7 SL/ASL
Local time
Fox.S

What are your thoughts on this with some of the footage we have through the years?

Sparrow.P

CW3
Active Duty
1/A/1-7 SL/ASL
S3 Staff
Local time
Sparrow.P
Why the requirement for YT upload at all? This will significantly lower the quality of the footage. YT compression wreaks havoc on grass and such elements of the video, downloading it from YT, working on it and then uploading (and thus recompressing again!) will result in very poor quality of the final product.

I have no other way of getting the footage over without incurring a monetary cost either to individuals or the Cav. I have brought this up to potentially use nextcloud to store the clips of anyone in the Cav but there are security and administration issues with doing it that way.

It's the best solution I can think of at this time. I'm willing to hear any suggestions however that you think would work better.

I guess if you have it uploaded onto your own google drive (or other cloud storage equivalent) and share a link that is fine, but it would be mixed in with people who simply upload to youtube

Kastor.K

Corporal
Active Duty
2/A/1-7
S3 Staff
Local time
I have no other way of getting the footage over without incurring a monetary cost either to individuals or the Cav. I have brought this up to potentially use nextcloud to store the clips of anyone in the Cav but there are security and administration issues with doing it that way.

It's the best solution I can think of at this time. I'm willing to hear any suggestions however that you think would work better.

I guess if you have it uploaded onto your own google drive (or other cloud storage equivalent) and share a link that is fine, but it would be mixed in with people who simply upload to youtube
WeTransfer :)