Join the Tactical Gaming Excellence

Post-op Kidney Transplant Update

Roark.W

Corporal
Retired
Local time
7:17 AM
Good morning!

On March 3rd, I had my transplant surgery. There were some complications, however, that kept me in the hospital for a month. My heart went into atrial fibrillation; an erratic heart beat. They were able to stabilize me. Then, they found a bleed at one of the several connector tissues where the kidney connects to the body. So I went in for another surgery to drain and clean the bleed and reattach the tissue. The next two weeks, I spent in ICU. I had a second heart issue that brought a crash cart to my room. Thankfully, they were finally able to stabilize me without the use of the cart. That time was a complete blur to me. Then, to top that off, the new anti-rejection medication started tremors across my entire body. It felt like I was vibrating constantly. I couldn't sleep for 3 days, then crashed and was non-responsive.

Needless to say, sometimes in life we have to jump over hurdles. The good news is that the four week stay gave my body time to accept the new kidney. It has been two months since my surgery, and the kidney is working great! I have more energy, more mental awareness; it is changing my life in a huge way. I have an appointment at the transplant clinic once a week to check on labs and see how the medication is working and how the kidney is doing. They are very pleased with everything.

I'm truly grateful to members of the 7th Cav, who reached out to me. I thank you for your thoughts and even prayers, more than you know.

I'm still undertaking physical therapy, but I've been able to ween myself off of the walker in the past week. Things are really going well.

Peace,

Onward.

Southside

Kastor.K

Corporal
Active Duty
2/A/1-7
S3 Staff
Local time
12:17 PM
I've been able to ween myself off of the walker in the past week. Things are really going well.
This is awesome news. Kudos on your perserververance, Brother! :)