1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regimental XO

Discussion in 'Hotline bulletin board' started by Chance.JT, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Chance.JT

Chance.JT Regimental Commander GOA Active Member

Recently we received the following message:
    The short answer is, yes, there is a different standard of treatment and accountability for our XO. He has over a decade of service to this organization, has built entire departments from the ground up, developed several processes which are still used to this day. The XO does exactly what I ask him to do, his job is to advise me and act in my stead should I not be able to function as the CO. He is in that position because I believe he is the best person to replace me should something happen to me and I am unable to serve as CO. His work schedule does not afford him the time to make many of the meetings, and if he were in any other capacity he would have been removed, but his position does not require him to be there.

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I have made an exception due to work schedules. "But General, I really would like to work in this department that does not do much as a primary billet because of my work schedule"

Dear citizens....this is not a democracy.

GEN.Kleinman will serve as XO as long as I am CO or he decides to retire. You may not think so, but he has earned that right.

Knight.J, Vargas.N, Ronen.R and 2 others like this.
  2. Geki.T

Geki.T C/1-7 Section Leader Staff Sergeant Active Member

Secondary Billets:
    S7 - Arma 3 SOI Instructor, S7 - Arma 3 ACE Instructor, S5 - Livestream Lead, S3 - Arma 3 Operations Staff, S3 - Arma 3 Scripting Staff, S3 - Arma 3 Pub Operations Staff, S7 - Arma 3 TAS Instructor, S3 - Arma 3 Developer Staff, S5 - Arma Public Relations
    With respect sir, there are also quite a few people in the 7th that have put in their fair share as well into building the 7th into what it is today, not to mention those who continue to maintain those departments that General Kleinman has poured a lot of effort into making, yet they still remain active as possible to help show that they are around, even if it's just maintaining forum conversations.
    Further, I have seen many CSC's go by without the presence of the CO and XO that CoS Burgundy and Adjutant General Grgich, as well as former Command Sergeant Major Argus, have all led and attended in the absence of the CO and XO of the Regiment.
    I don't think anybody is berating the real life problems anyone has that can get in the way of their time here in the 7th. I think that people, and I agree with them, believe there is an air of bias towards General Kleinman in regards to the work he has put in and the position he has. As I mentioned in the opening statement, there are many others here in the 7th who are still in active ranks that really would have been listed as an AWOL Discharge regardless of their rank or billet, and regardless how much effort they've put into this place currently. From an NCO's perspective, it is very upsetting to hear that there isn't a method of accountability that is similar from us here in the enlisted ranks that reaches up to those at the Regimental Staff. It feels like it's further driven a wedge and a disconnect between Regiment and your average trooper, because the average trooper cannot look up to his Regimental Staff and know with confidence that even the people all the way at the top of the Chain have to be accountable for something, similar to how that Private must be accountable for something. It makes them feel like there will never be an opportunity for that individual to grow and develop in their Cav Career to eventually become what his superiors are, because "if the superiors aren't held to the same standards expected of me, then I don't care".

I believe that's the major frustration many people have, sir. I have great respect for the work that I know General Kleinman has done, and even more respect for the work I don't know about that he has also done. However, from the perspective of this NCO, whose Creed is to be a leader that inspires my troopers and demonstrates qualities that they aspire to emulate, it feels like the qualities currently demonstrated by some members of Regimental Staff do not reflect the qualities expected out of troopers.

I mean all of this in as much respect as possible, sir. However, I do not feel content with having this issue swept away as it feels like it is.

3. Whitsel.M

Whitsel.M Sergeant First Class Retired Member

I (and it seems many others) agree with what SSG.Geki has had to say about this. I would also like to add that the Cav is bigger than any single individual now, regardless of their contributions in the past. We all have a responsibility to uphold ourselves to what the cav was - and still is - to ensure that that magic can continue.

As a DI, I still read new recruits the words that General Kleinman wrote years before I had even heard about the Cav on a regular basis. Unfortunately though, that same department has been faltering for years because of - in large part - a complete lack of involvement of any active approving authority.

This isn't just an issue with Gen Staff. Past a certain point many previously productive individuals seem to feel that it is acceptable to rest on their laurels and forgo their duties. Troopers throughout the Cav feel this and are dismayed by it, be it platoon, company, Battalion, regimental, or department staff. Many that had the cav running through their veins once upon a time have left because of it, and I certainly can't blame them.

General Kleinman certainly isn't the only exception to the rule. I myself was one that had an exception made for my accountability standards due to my work schedule in the military and for that I am truly greatful. But at no point during that time could anybody claim that I was unavailable or lacking in my duties. I still spent many, many, many late nights working on stuff for the good of the Cav even when I had 5am PT and still felt like shit from the night before. Even now I write this from the side of I-70 on a two week drive to Alaska. I am by no means alone in this regard - many put their lives into this community and wish to see the best for it because they care.

Just because something isn't a democracy doesn't excuse it from a need for legitimacy. If there is one and only one thing we should emulate of the military it is that leaders have a responsibility to put those placed in their charge before themselves, their career, and their accolades. Sometimes the best thing we can do is look to ourselves and decide if this is really something can do, if we're willing and able to put in the time and effort to achieve excellence, and if not, maybe it's time to give another that is as fired up as we once were the opportunity to do what we did. That is not my place to answer though.

Please remember that people feel strongly on this matter because they care, because they give enough of a damn about what we have here to want to protect it and nurture it into something even better. We should seek to empower those that will one day inevitably take our place so that we can at least have that one last final good deed under our belt.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Parsons.B, Storm.A, Dunn.W and 34 others like this.
  4. Thumper.N

Thumper.N Reservist Active Member

For me, personally, this is pretty much it.

5. Jarvis.A

Jarvis.A IMO Officer in Charge Colonel Active Member

You aren’t adding anything else to the conversation by replying to this thread now, and that goes to everyone else.

The GOA is not blind. He saw the first response, and the reaction that followed.

Mitsuma.R, Fisher.S, Naman.C and 2 others like this.
  6. Chance.JT

Chance.JT Regimental Commander GOA Active Member

Let me take another swipe at this.

SGT.Whitsel nailed it. The Cav is indeed more than just one person. That statement basically was a slap in the face, but in a good way. I remember making that statement to a previous GOA who thought the Cav was HIS. He did not understand that the Cav existed due to the hard work and effort of a lot of dedicated people. People with the balls to stand up and speak truth to power.

I was not at my best this week. I have suffered a lot of loss this week in my family, and while I will not go into it, it has affected my attitude and judgement. My previous response was a result of that, and having gone back and read it, I feel pretty bad about it. It reminded me of a time and a Cav that I swore I would change. GEN.Kleinman was also a part of that. He and I have endured a lot together and have worked together pretty much since he was a PFC and thrown into the NCOIC of RTC role. He has always done what has been asked of him.

I think the XO has straightened a lot of this out on his own. If not, and you still have concerns please hit me up on Discord or Steam. I will be happy to come on TS and discuss your concerns and address them if I can. We have all been where you are, and we want this to be a place where you enjoy enjoy spending your time with friends.